PAXMAN SAID “CUNTS” ON NEWSNIGHT.
A peaceful UKuncut protest outside Boots on Oxford Street, London led to three civilians needing medical treatment owing to unprovoked use of CS gas by the police.
One protester was arrested for posting leaflets through the doors of the store, and a dozen or so protesters were left recovering on the street.
Legal observers also state that they saw police with tasers and guns.
Boots have stated they are disgusted at the police behaviour, and staff at the protest offered medicines to those attacked.
Photo via @UKuncut
Pornography, Lad Mags, Video Games and Boys:
Reviving the Canary in the Cultural Coalmine
Matthew B. Ezzell (via iwillnotshavemyvagina)
I always walk with my keys out after dark. I will gouge your eyes out.
See, my mom taught me to gauge out an attacker’s eyes with my thumbs. The keys (or optional metal nail file, if you carry those) are out because they can be jabbed violently and directly into either the stomach or interior thigh and then pulled up as hard as possible.
I was maybe 12 years old when she thought it was necessary to teach me these defense tactics. THIS is rape culture.
My dad taught me how to break a nose in both a fatal and nonfatal fashion, how to blind an attacker, how to hit the kidneys forcefully enough to momentarily debilitate, at what angle to knee or elbow the groin from several different positions to best debilitate, and told me to scream “fire” instead of “rape.” He taught me these things when I was eleven years old, and he taught me because my mother couldn’t talk about sexual assault due to post-traumatic stress. This is rape culture.
Reblogged for the incredible quote, and the equally incredible commentary. Thanks brad-t for submitting the link to me.
Ah, the “shout ‘fire’ instead of ‘rape’, because no one will pay attention otherwise” suggestion is one I’m very familiar with.
When we’re placing responsibility on women to not get raped/to defend themselves from an attacker, it’s obvious to me that sexism is still rampant.
In the next 4 months, I have 11 essays (and 2 pieces of Creative Writing for a module I’m taking from another dept.) to hand in. They consist of:
- 7th Februrary:
- Two essays to do with Christian and Jewish relations, one of which refers to The Merchant of Venice, and in which I’m probably going to reference Machiavelli.
- One essay to do with leadership and media ethics (which I’ve already completed).
- 21st February
- One essay to do with the German Reformation (I have no idea what that’ll be about yet.)
- One essay to do with the way cities are portrayed in film, throughout this century and the last, and how that is theologically interesting.
- On essay to do with the philosophy and ethics of/within literature (I have no idea what this one will be about either AND IT IS HARD.)
- 14th March
- One essay to do with 19th Century British Christianity and how Darwin’s work had an impact on how religion featured in society.
- 3rd May
- Another essay about ethics. I haven’t definitely decided on a topic, but it’ll probably be an analysis on the EGE’s opinion on stem cell research.
- Another essay to do with art and religion within a city setting. I think I’m going to compare to literary depictions of London (think Dickens etc.)
- Another essay on 19th Century Brit Christianity, this time about the influence of religion and the liberation of women.
So. That’s what I do. If you are interested in any of the topics above then please, please drop a message to me in my ask box, as I do genuinely need the discussion as I study remotely and therefore don’t know anyone to talk to about these. Any ideas you have for any of them (e.g. the 3rd May #2) are welcome.
THAT IS ALL.
Thanks! I’m going to be getting some tote-bags I designed up soon - exciting! If you like monsters, then be happy, because that’s basically all I can draw.
It was absolutely piss to set up, so I recommend it. They charge 2¢US per listing (i.e. per quantity), and I think they take a percentage of your sales - I can’t remember how much, but it’s not a lot or I would’ve not set one up because I am a cheapskate.
Let me know if you set one up!